Re: [atlarge-discuss] No quorum

At 04:20 p.m. 8/10/2002 -0400, Ron Sherwood wrote:
There seems to be a lack of understanding among some members about the scope
of responsibility, accountability and authority of the panel.
Ron,

I found what you said important enough to put it up in the Forum as discussion material.
http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=783#783

This is exactly the discussion that needs to be systematically conducted in order to arrive at good Bylaws.

With regards to the current lack of voting on the Panel I have a simple suggestion to make.
Prior to holding a vote, the Chair should hold a roll-call.
Then, during a vote, the Chair should ask individual Panelists how they vote, for, against, or abstain.

At the moment , with most Panel members somehow "present", it means that a non-vote is actually a passive abstention.
As the Panel members are not individually asked to respond, in the way it would happen in a physical meeting, they may just exercise their silence to let a motion they don't approve of die a quiet death.

I consider proposals to punish Panel members for not-voting by taking their rights away quite dangerous, especially if that leads to a lowering of quorum requirements.

The best way to let the members remove dead panel-wood is regular , staggered elections.

--Joop