[atlarge-discuss] Legal filing process's to:Re: [atlarge-discuss] No quorum

Walter, Chris and all stakeholdersor other interested parties and members,

Walter Schmidt wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, NameCritic wrote:
>
> > (501C-3 may not be the way we choose to go...

  Good point here Chris!  Indeed 501 C3 may not be advisable or
preferred.  I think a resolution and list vote might be helpful here
for the members to determine which options they prefer.

> Chris -
>
> As a CPA for going on three decades who is familar with these things, our
> organization best be "set-up" by an "attorney who is familar with such
> things" - this includes IRS filings.

  I think that a good Atty's. advice would be helpful here yes.  However
I would never allow an Atty. to set up any business of any nature
cart blanche.  He must work FOR the members, not the other way
around line ICANN's and many other similar organizations.  I would
hate for us to have another Joe Simms in the cat bird seat for this
organization.

> It is good for us to see certain details - we would be wrong to have
> anyone other than an "attorney who is familar with such things" do the
> filings.

  I disagree in part.  I think it is clear that Jones&Day's Joe simms
and Louis Touton proved this for most folks here to be incorrect
as you state it here Walter.  Sure, we should have an Atty's. advice
and legal review, but the filings cannot be singed by that same Atty.
lest we seed allot of control to that Atty. of this organization.

> Why? There is a big difference between what is written, and how what is
> written is applied...

  Sure is!  But again this is not really a justification for what you are
proposing but in part is a reason for an Atty's. ADVICE and council,
not management and/or control.