Re: [atlarge-discuss] No quorum

Chris and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

NameCritic wrote:

> Walter, I agree 100%. I have always done it this way. First, we write the
> mission statement, then draft the bylaws and articles of incorporation. Then
> take it all to an attorney. If you have the attorney do it all from scratch
> it's more expensive than having him just review what you have done and
> siggest changes. Some will do this pro-bono because it limits their personal
> liability as well because they reviewed it vs writing it themselves.

  Good process plan here Chris, except the Mission statement should come
last, not first.  Order of importance is as follows:
1.) Articles of Incorporation.
2.) Charter
3.) Bylaws Note: 2 and 3 can be swapped.
4.) Mission statement.

> The posting I made was just to clarify that this group needs a statement of
> purpose to proceed. If we proceed to do other things first, then write our
> purpose, the things we have already done at that point may not fit within
> the scope of that purpose. It needs to specifically outline what this
> organization is being formed to accomplish.

  Mission statements can be changed and will likely be changed as this
organization matures or if it moves forward.  So will the bylaws change,
be modified, and should be reviewed at least annually.

> I don't see that all the members here have the same purpose. Do you? With a
> mission statement we all have the same purpose and it may help us to start
> to work together as a unit.

  The charter does more to help the members move forward as a unit
than the mission statement.

> Something that is needed IMO. Those who have a
> different agenda than what we approve as our purpose then may go off on
> their own and start something that fits their agenda.

  Who is the "WE" in you comment here?  The members?

> Also, this question isn't directed at you Walter, but to everyone, on the
> ability of a member to arbitrarily form working groups. I don't see that we
> have drafted any rules keeping us from doing so.

  Good point, and one that will impact the Charter, Articles of Incorporation
to a small degree, and the Bylaws to a great degree.  The mission statement
should be stated in very broad terms so as to not impede such activities
as you suggest in WG's, Committee's and potential Task Forces in the
future.