Re: [atlarge-discuss] Where To Incorporate

David and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

David Farrar wrote:

> To gain recognition as a legal body icannatlarge.org needs to register itself
> in an appropriate country.  This is very important because it will also confer
> limited liability on the members.  At present all members are equally and
> jointly liable for any costs of icannatlarge.org so if for example a defamatory
> statement was posted on our website then the members could have to pay any
> damages.

  Very good point here David. And in part, this point was made some
time ago.  It is true, that depending on how we incorporate, that the
members will equally have some liability as to potential defamatory
content on the web page(s) for our site.  This is why some time ago
now I had suggested that we garner funding and set aside a
legal liability fund, pending insurance coverage for this liability.

  But to accomplish this, we need funds, and a funding method/model
as well as a disbursement procedure that might be determined
by a finance committee subject to membership vote of approval.

> Recently InternetNZ had their lawyer prepared a document for another global
> body on the benefits of registering a non profit organisation under NZ law.  I
> have attached most of that document below for people to consider.

  Thank you!  On first reading it looks pretty good.

> NZ has a particular statute for registration of non profit organisations which
> only incurs a one off registration fee.  Annual accounts and rule changes have
> to be filed but these are extremely minimal compliance costs.

  This is also true in Delaware as if you check, you will find.

>  The law merely
> states what provisions have to be included in your rules, but gives maximum
> flexibility as to what those provisions are - something very useful for an
> organisation that will probably only ever meet in cyberspace.

  Yes in Delaware these provisions would be in the Articles of Incorporation
or the charter depending on what type of legal entity we would become
or decide.

> If the panel and the members would like to pursue registration under the New
> Zealand Incorporated Societies Act 1908 I would be happy to ask InternetNZ
> secretariat to arrange this, cover the cost of registration and for them to act
> as the contact address for matters relating to incorporation.

  Nice offer.  I am sure it will be considered.  I thing that we all need
to consider such offers and than take a vote upon them.

>  I can not
> guarantee InternetNZ will agree but they/we (I am the Secretary) have been long
> standing supporters of the at large so I am hopeful.

  Great!  >;)

> I suggest that the panel asks for alternative proposals for registration, and
> proceeds to a membership ballot in the next month.  This issue needs to be
> sorted quickly as it affect issues such as the constitution of icannatlarge.org.

  Good idea here as well.  It is about time or past time really that we
get busy on this.