Re: [atlarge-discuss] Time...

Dear JMK,
this is a serious attempt by normal people. This means that it takes time for every one to get tuned together. From this experience and others we may only say that a mailing list is at the same time a good and a poor tool for such an endeavor. A try was given to a forum which was not that bad. If you shared in the DNSO/GA you know the type of problem we face.

Experience shows that this list is poor in term of contributions. But that people on it are often of highly dedicated and dismayed (as you express it). The only propositions I have are:

- to push the Panel to move ahead with some exciting mission statement both for the Membership and for the Panel
- to propose serious cellular actions through local chapters or dedicated interest groups and to support them through a naming plan (under building right now at http://atlarge.ws )

Such propositions may have developed in here - in spite of the noise - or have aggregated. The name our members have chosen limits us in the ICANNatlarge[org] area but this does not prevent us to be disorganized yet involved in real issues like:

- at large representation near ICANN
- participation into some TFs
- the concept of an ICANN "in exile" that proposes Hans Kelin
- the interest international and consumer issues by James Love
- the http://dot-root.com project you might be interested in from what you say
- may be an action in the IDNs area.

We are still in infancy, so there are some childish mail exchanges and there is still an strong focus on the Panel as desiring to be a single authoritative point of failure instead as a central catalyst for action and outreach. But IMHO this is improving.

If you want to share in this you are welcome. I would suggest you join the WG-DNS if you are interested in these issues and competent. All the more if you can propose some free resources. No big activity yet, but starting.

jfc