[atlarge-discuss] Re: 0:1 .NET

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 13:08, Jim Fleming wrote:
> http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/0211/msg00260.html
> From: Stephen Waters <swaters@amicus.com>
> "I think the only time the Net had any chance of being locked into an
> evil TVN was back in 1994/1995. Fortunately for all of us, Bill Gates
> didn't "get it" back then so we're not saddled with MSN == Net!"
> ====
>
> Are you familiar with 0:1 .NET ?
>
> Do you think companies should "own" bits in the IPv4 header ?

I'm familiar with .NET. Depending on which part of the strategy to which
you refer will depend on whether I agree with whether it will succeed or
fail. The programmatic side has some nice benefits but I have serious
doubts about the chances of success for Hailstorm, etc.

As far as header bits, the real test is whether corporations and users
will buy into their scheme to remain compatible or refuse to honor such
malformed packets. FWIW, just because it lives in an RFC doesn't make it
standard... so even if they bought off the standards committee, it'd
still have to be implemented elsewhere.

-s

---
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Redmond, Washington. Monday, November 11, 2002.
Microsoft purchased Cisco Systems today in a thinly veiled attempt to
hijack the Net. The FTC, SEC, and association of Chambers of Commerce
announced support for the sale on grounds that it would help combat
software piracy and simplify automatic bank drafting of corporate and
home-user accounts for licensing fees. Detractors decried the purchase
as anti-competitive, but Chairman Ballmer emphasized viable competition
from the Linux operating system. In unrelated news, Linux and Apache
computers dropped like flies all over the net as the latest Cisco
firmware security fix made the rounds. Lead Software Architect Bill
Gates emphasized that Linux was incompatible with the de facto standard
and must adapt to changes in the standard. Alan Greenspan was reported
to have purchased nine billion shares of Microsoft stock.