Re: [atlarge-discuss] Killing ICANNAtLarge by division

You know, if this wasn't so sad it would be hilarious. This whole archive
should be made into a website titled "How not to start and run an
organization"

This should be relabeled an anti-org if only that tld were avalable.
atlarge.anti-org would be perfect.

I have been quiet and not posting recently and just reading and observing as
members will tend to do for the most part. I would find it amazing that even
20 people are still actually reading this now, forget a 1000 members
claimed.

As long as you elect to the panel the same people who haven't changed ICANN
in other groups they belong to and been on panels for you will maintain the
same exact results. Nothing.

yes a website can be run by team effort. The suggestions otherwise are
ridiculous. I opened a website and forum 22 days ago on another subject
entirely. I already have 132 members who have posted some 1500 times to the
board, a 22 page website to go along with it, advertisers already paying the
freight, and manage a team of 12 Moderators for the various topical boards.
They build portions of the website that relate to their expertise and I
oversee and build the rest. All decisions get made in a once-a-week team
meeting in an mirc chatroom. The idea that this started what, 6 months ago?
and you have 1000 members you claim and still can't even operate a website,
but you're gonna change the world. Yeah.

I've seen offers of help like tutorials to run a website. There are people
here like Sotiris that can do that without a manual and that are willing to
spend the time to put up with the constant rambling and drivel produced by
some list members. You have other people that have offered real help yet you
can't accept it, because you lack the simple ability to make a decision.

If you had drafted the mission statement and bylaws before proceeding to the
website and outreach and shanghai and putting together wgs you wouldn't have
half this confusion. I and several others have insisted that be done first
yet we have been ignored by the panel and some of the members who need
professional counseling desperately. You have ignored concerns including
some way to determine who is actually posting to the list and that there is
no duplication in membership.

Yet you find time to argue about who will be webmaster, how many people will
be working on the website, who is out to get who, who is sabotaging what,
etc. The members of this list are sabotaging themselves. This is in self
destruct mode at worst and at best on schedule to be a real organization in
the year 2040.

In a democracy you elect leaders that can get the job done, if they don't
you are supposed to un-elect them next time. Not everything can be put to a
vote. I put things to a vote at my site whenever possible and they vote
right then. Other things I just have to decide and do. I can't be voted out
of office though and this is a commercial venture, but the same applies. You
have to elect people to do the job and let them do the job without your
incessant whining on the list about them and every 5 posts asking to have
this or that person removed. That is the fodder of babies who never want to
go along with anything and argue for the sake of argument.

This org is doomed if you do not do the following.
1. Elect who will be the original BoD
They should
      A. Finalize the Mission Statement
      B. Draft the Bylaws.
      C. Incorporate somewhere, anywhere, just give the damn thing some form
of legality.

2. Members should vote prior to electing the BoD as to the term that the
original BoD members will serve and set the terms for future BoD members and
if they will be staggered elections rather than all at once. (recommended)

3. The BoD can take suggestions for topics that should be formed into
working groups from the membership, then begin forming those wg's with rules
as to how many people can join a wg, how many different wg's can be joined
by one person, and set a list of posting rules for all the mailing lists.

Then it may be possible this will lead to something. But I know now the
people who are here simply to disrupt the list as their only agenda will now
say all this is impossible or the wrong way to do it, etc. And they will
post how their 1000's of fictional people they represent disagree, etc.

I would truly like to see this lead somewhere, if not I gotta move on. I
have no tolerance for work being done this slow nor do I have the time or
the qualifications to counsel those who need professional help. I'm like
joop. If I don't see you doing it, I will get around to doing it myself and
even if I begin 3 months from now I'll be ahead of this group inside of
thirty days.

You have a few doers here who don't have a history of failing to change the
way users are represented to ICANN. Let them do something and quit making
the same tired mistakes every group has done so far. Please, a lot is riding
on this. It is not your personal playground or a place for your grievences,
nor is it a place where you speak for the membership of groups outside of
this organization of individuals. I don't care what other groups you belong
to, here you are one person representing one person. Very simple. You
complicate this way beyond what is necessary. If the people who wrote the
constitution were like this group we would still be worshipping a queen or a
king vs what's left of the democracy they created.

NameCritic