Re: [atlarge-discuss] Ranking re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [wg-web] Re:passwords to access the preview icannatlarge.org site

Some good work there judyth. I first of all took the words join "free" from
the original page I believe. I didn't use free for the search engines, but
surfers shy away for ANY link that says join until they know it is free. So
it is necessary to use the word free for that reason, not for the search
engines.

An Judyth you are correct about capital letters IF you were writing a letter
or offline document or teaching an english course, but you use bold, caps,
italics, etc on webpages with abundant text to highlight specific items and
draw attention of the surfer to specific areas. The reason is they do not
for the most part read the text as they would a letter. They skim. You write
a webpage with all the text as if they are going to read it all because some
do, then you go back and use bold, highlights, italics, and caps to write to
the skimmers.

There is only a few ways to determine you have a successful website. If it
is brochure-ware and on your letterheads and biz cards, etc. and the only
people that will see it are those who see those or you tell about it. If
that was the intended goal then all it has to be is pretty. That would be
successful. The others all depend on A. Getting traffic to the site and B.
Converting that traffic. Whether you are selling a product or not this is
the only way to mark the success of a website, converting means getting the
visitor to do what you want them to do, period.

As far as design is concerned, Navigation is the most important thing to
consider above all else it must be easy to find everything from anywhere in
the site and without using frames that many browsers do not support and the
spiders hate. Next is catching their attention and text is the best way to
do that. But as I said you have 2 types of people, readers and skimmers. You
have to write to both. There is an old saying for webmasters. Build the
first one for show and the rest for dough. Plain and simple. Ugly sites sell
product. Doesn't really mean ugly, but means plain, easy to use and easy to
navigate. No matter how many times this point is proven people still think
design is really really important and pay so much attention to the look that
they forget that the website is simply a communication tool you are using
and you have a goal that you are trying to achieve with it, whether selling
a product, doing outreach, or recruiting members.

When I build a website, I build all of it, then if I need to I hire a
designer just to pretty it up some. But I never let designers choose the
text or change the text nor do I allow them to change the ease of navigation
I installed.

We just disagree on bolding, caps, etc. I always love it when I have a
client that says I want to make sales, but I don't want to look like I'm
trying to make sales. recruiting new members and doing outreach is sales
whether people like the idea or not. ICANN uses the media and "sells" the
public all the time. If you think you can be a mouse and beat a lion you are
wrong. If they sell we have to sell. We need to be agressive. ALL this
committee stuff, discussions, and rhetoric is total BS and will never be
enough to get done what you want to get done. ICANN is agressive. We have no
choice but to beat them at their own game because they are intrenched and
have money and government sanction, and the media and public attention, ALL
of which we do not currently have. It's like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Back to the page and your edits;

I did not change the page around all I did was the text. I didn't have the
style sheet and don't like them anyway. But as I said you did a good job on
the rewording judyth. I like it a lot. Your words were better, and I
welcomed people to edit. You left the keywords intact. Thank you.

"The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define
them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners
can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and
who will be sharing the adventure with them."
          -- Denis Watley
"The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide
what you want."
en Stein

Write the mission statement and by laws please.

"Some people make headlines while others make history."
           -- Philip Elmer-DeWitt, in Time Magazine
"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We
want to live in the present and the only history that is worth a tinker's
damn is the history we made today."
Henry Ford (1863 - 1947), Interview in Chicago Tribune, May 25th, 1916

ICANN is making history, shall we?

"The real distinction is between those who adapt their purposes to reality
and those who seek to mold reality in the light of their purposes."
           -- Henry Kissinger
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored"
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963), "Proper Studies", 1927

The reality is as I stated above, a website needs traffic and needs to
convert that traffic to be successful. Anything else is just a showpiece.
That is reality on the web.

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like
if
Moses had run them through the US congress."
-- Ronald Reagan

I'm wondering what the website will look like after we run it by everyone on
the list before building it.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody."
Bill Cosby
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)
"Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard
work."
Peter Drucker
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do."
Dale Carnegie

Vote on who will do the task then let them do it. Everyone needs to quit
thinking that everyone must have a vote in every single move or we go
nowhere.

"Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle."
Ken Hakuta
"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Elbert Hubbard

We have an idea. We need to implement it and stop discussing it so much.

And just for fun

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
Dan Quayle

NameCritic