Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: the preview icannatlarge.org site...

At 23:22 09/12/02, Stephen Waters wrote:
your description of the French system sounds a lot like the failed
American experiments in confederacy (Articles of Confederation and
later, the Confederate States of America).
There is not better or poorer solution. There is the way some do it or like it.
America is built another way from France and UK is also different.

But I agree, I think a broad base of local control with the central part
taking orders from the localities is workable on the Net, given its
narrow mission.
The way you use the network tool is usually the way you need it, until it gives you a gusto for more. The US needs being quite limited due to the Federal quite uniform culture a calling for less than the French culture both more centralized (state) and distributed.(people) : hence the Minitel success. At the end the day the use will be the same if the White House security effort does not strangle us.

I've always thought a P2P, freenet style system with some basic, sane
rules for adding to the library of names and numbers would be really
neat. I just have no idea how to code it, yet. :)
This would probably be very rustic :-). Minitel.

> This so true that this management style is named in French "concertation"
> and is used all the time: The word does not even exist in English to the
> point that "concertation" in English means the opposite, ie contention.

I have to say something about this hint of Structuralism, though. Just
because there's no one-word label (or multi-word idiom) for a concept in
a language doesn't mean those native speakers haven't learned the idea.
True. But it is far more difficult to work and build on it in common (what
a culture is). Look at Joe Sims: he published a memo on the GA describing
a concerted management and some subsidiarity. Quite good. Then he
called it "coordination" because this is the only word available.
And from that he said "ICANN" coordinates, being the boss and killing
everything. ICANN is to be a servant to a consensus not a corodinator.
The whole ccTLD problem. And European (French and German, etc
lead the show because they know how to express their need and share
the workd and images more easily).

This is why I try to introduce "concertance" as a word to ballance
"dominance" in the governance understood as a job (French) and
not a methodologt (American).

For example, there's a very real fight in the Boy Scouts of America,
right now, over this issue (central vs local control).
That is a Boy Scout recurrent problem. This is the Patrol system.
BP was a Bristish soldier. The kids entered the regiment and ended
as its colonel. Then he went tro Africa and discovered a different
warfare he discovered quite similar to the Insurgent and the Irish,
but that time on the British side, so he studied and learned it.

You will note that just before the war in London, Boy Scouts were
not yeat 50% using the Patrol system.

That culture goes back and forth. I also understand that in the
US they have the public/private activity issue and rules.
jfc