Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: the preview icannatlarge.org site...

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 17:32, J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
> > > This so true that this management style is named in French "concertation"
> > > and is used all the time: The word does not even exist in English to the
> > > point that "concertation" in English means the opposite, ie contention.
> >
> >I have to say something about this hint of Structuralism, though. Just
> >because there's no one-word label (or multi-word idiom) for a concept in
> >a language doesn't mean those native speakers haven't learned the idea.
>
> True. But it is far more difficult to work and build on it in common (what
> a culture is). Look at Joe Sims: he published a memo on the GA describing
> a concerted management and some subsidiarity. Quite good. Then he
> called it "coordination" because this is the only word available.
> And from that he said "ICANN" coordinates, being the boss and killing
> everything. ICANN is to be a servant to a consensus not a corodinator.

equivocation is a logical fallacy whether you use a conventional term
from your culture or redefine an existing word. I do agree that having a
common cultural term used in its conventional sense can better manifest
instances of equivocation.

> This is why I try to introduce "concertance" as a word to ballance
> "dominance" in the governance understood as a job (French) and
> not a methodologt (American).

yeah, I think you're right, at least insofar as showing logical
fallacies more easily.

> >For example, there's a very real fight in the Boy Scouts of America,
> >right now, over this issue (central vs local control).
>
> That is a Boy Scout recurrent problem. This is the Patrol system.

actually, I was thinking more about national vs regional vs troop
control over certain issues (e.g., gays in Scouting). there's a lot of
disagreement over who does/should control what policies.

-s