Re: [atlarge-discuss] Dow Chemical Shuts Down TenantNet and Hell's Kitchen

DannyYounger@cs.com schrieb:

[snip]

> We have no connection with this parody website, other than being on the
> same network. Dow Chemical pressured the upstream provider, Verio, to shut
> down the entire network. Many unrelated sites also went down.
>
> Landlords can't (or aren't supposed to be able to) evict tenants without
> going to court. Similarly, we feel that if Dow Chemical felt it had grounds
> for action against the parody website, it should obey the law.

That is really bad.
Shutting down Webspace without a court ruling is like blocking the
distribution of a daily newspaper by blowing up the streets in front of
it.

This is clearly a threat to free speech.

On the other hand, at least according to german law regarding
trademarks, Verio could be (successfully) sued for helping somebody
break this law if they donīt shut the offending site down immediately

I just donīt understand why Verio didnīt shut down the one offending
site but instead their whole network.

Everybody else should leave Verio, theyīre obviously stupid.

mfg
Holger

--
Holger Steiner