Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Recordings of Amsterdam Meetings and PROPOSAL

Thanks for replying at length, Alexander.

The RALO's of course have to be "accepted" by ICANN and they have to sign a
MoU. Furthermore, if different groups take a different view on (eg)
individuals voting, and more than one group approaches ICANN ro form a RALO
for (eg) Europe, then it's going to be ICANN who decides which group to be
the RALO.

At the Amsterdam meeting, Denise sat on the fence about whether individuals
would be able to participate in the RALOs or merely organisations; and
Esther clearly takes the view that if it doesn't work we'll change the
rules.

Are you trying to tell me, Alexander, that you trust ICANN's good intents?

Look at the track record (or have they institutionalised you?):

Abuse of power.

Granting of contracts to friends and associates.

Expulsion of elected At Large directors (agreed upon and imminent)

Rejection of their own ALSG recommendations on the At Large.

Closing down of the GA.

Derisory comments about public contributions in their ICANN forums.

Expenditure of large sums of money to harrass fellow Board member Karl
Auerbach (in an action booted out of court by the judiciary).

Failure to respond to mail (eg Dan Halloran - now been waiting 250 days).

Craven laissez-faire attitude.

Cynical exploitation and manipulation of processes.

Where's the democratic accountability?

Where's the REAL cimmitment to ordinary users?

Do you seriously suggest we should trust ICANN, its RALOs initiative, or
anything else they propose?

If it starts to work against them, they'll just change the rules again, like
they have before.

For all these reasons, Alexander, I think I have the reason to be sceptical.

You seem to imply that User Groups and ordinary internet users can't
organise themselves without ICANN organising the RALOs and overseeing the
structures. Why ever not?

When do we stop kowtowing to ICANN and stop treating them as if they were
the centre of the universe?

If you want a free, independent and critical voice for internet users, why
tie it up with ICANN?

If we tie it up with ICANN, we'll be tied up with ICANN.

ICANN has no interest in the voice of the At Large. They have made that
quite plain. There interest is in running the root in the best interests of
the US Government and in the interests of Big Business, Trademark Lobby, and
their close friends and associates in the "Domain Industry".

Their only interest in the At Large at present is window-dressing.

Well by participating with them, we're helping to dress the window.

ICANN is out of order.

We should cease associating with their structures. We should keep our
structures independent of ICANN. We should develop our own Regional
Organisations and Umbrella Groups and Coalitions and Alliances. We should
mould a voice for the diverse groupings of internet users.

We should vocally highlight the ICANN "reform" coup which proposes to kick
the At Large off the Board.

We should NOT legitimise the coup by supporting it and building up a
"replacement" for the expelled At Large Board.

Alexander I was not trying to attack Denise as a person but only Denise as a
function. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that she has the long-term
interest of the At Large at heart. She is a paid up ICANN insider working
for the very people who have ejected the At Large from real positions of
power and decision-making.

And yet the millions of people on this planet who have a right to determine
the future of the Internet - THEIR internet - are to be somehow rallied and
drawn together by the organisation that wants them excluded from serious
power?

Alexander, I am not attacking you as a person. Why should I? But I suggest
you have been roaming these ICANN corridors too long. You seem
institutionalised in your approach and attitudes. You continue to try to
assist ICANN in their machinations and devices. I say: actions speak louder
than words.

Look at what ICANN has done. Look how discredited they are. They will NEVER
truly let in the At Large because ICANN is not a democracy project, but an
instrument of US policy.

Unfortunately the future of the Internet IS a democracy project. And therein
lies the battlefront and the clash of cultures.

ICANN (and Denise) cannot be trusted to oversee the evolution of the At
Large.

The At Large as the voice of the democratic rights of the world has to be
evolved OUTSIDE any influence from ICANN.

Let them get a hold on it, and ICANN will evolve the At Large to become a
talking shop of powerless groupings, rendered ineffectual by a labyrinth of
ICANN rules and processes, and prevented from democratic expression and
control of the Internet.

I repeat, the Internet IS a democracy project. ICANN is not. It's a clash of
cultures. They are trying to disarm the At Large and turn its democratic
rights and demands into a committee and a few 'liaison' officers with no
power at all. That's not democracy. That's the blocking of the democracy (a
continuation of what they've done in the past 12 months ).

But the Internet belongs to hundreds of millions of ordinary users who make
it what it is, who develop it, who communicate through it, who help one
another on it, who trade, who educate, who own its billions of separate
pages. There is an absolute democratic imperative there that these people
should be empowered to control its development - the development of THEIR
resource - and that these people should be put at the centre of its
administration and future.

Instead of which, ICANN and USG have developed an amoral/immoral
market-driven big business-favouring unaccountable model, and have spurned
the democratic process, and they are an affront to democracy.

I'm sorry, Alexander, you're entitled to your view (and I'm smart enough to
understand it) but it really just smooth-talks and coaxes people into
accepting "life under ICANN".

The At Large movement HAS to be developed as a separate alternative, and HAS
to be kept clearly separate.

The At Large movement is a democracy movement. ICANN has no place for
democracy.

Richard Henderson