RE: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] Open call to join

At 01:02 a.m. 30/12/2002, Eric Dierker wrote:
So why cannot bylaws be completed.
To get 11 people to agree on Bylaws is probably not trivial. Especially if there would be agenda's behind certain formulations, that would meet with opposition. The IDNO has gone over such hard ground....

The Bylaws, even if they are not set in stone, can make or break the beginning of the organization.

Their details should be discussed here and in the icannatlarge.com WebForum so that the "drafters" have some guidance on at least what the active component of the membership wants.

For example: the pro's and con's of incorporation in the United States. While it would be obviously logical for a US RALO to incorporate in the US, it does not appear to be so obvious for the International Umbrella.
Ditto the pro's and cons of 501c3 Tax rights and Reporting Obligations for icannatlarge. Is the hassle worth the (corporate) deductability?

Also debate is needed on the level of "directness" in the democratic decisionmaking for the icannatlarge. This is the very debate that those who will be out to capture this baby cyber-organization wish to pre-empt.

How will the rights and duties of the icannatlarge officers be formulated? Can they act as they please? Should the Bylaws contain a precise deliniation of what they can formally do in the name of the membership?
What are the options of the membership to exercise ultimate political control? How often should elections be held? Should certain policy items be subject to referenda?

The "boilerplate" Bylaws that we have seen so far, are quite inapplicable to Global Virtual Organizations and totally insufficient to shape the future of the icannatlarge.

Because Constitutions are made up of a large number of interrelated articles, their drafting is a matter of (political) TRUST, not merely of competence.

One of the few things we *can* do from the bottom up, is indicate who we trust.

We can give "ticks" of trust on a long list of names of ICANN "participants", "watchers" or "critics".

This list will appear in the Polling Booth , the hosting for which has now been funded by one of you on this ML.

I have kicked off the list with the Initial ICANN Board and its architect. :-)

Long lists as additions are most welcome to be posted in the Forum. http://www.icannatlarge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=812#812

When we have several hundred names, they will be ordered alphabetically and presented in the Polling Booth.

--Joop--
www.icannatlarge.com

Sign up and spread the word.