Re: [atlarge-discuss] Demand for Affirmative Action

Thank you James.

I reinforce your call for the Poll Booth to be put into action, with Judyth
Mermelstein's questions. I propose that the entire membership is e-mailed
direct with a link to the Poll Booth once Judyth's questions have been
placed there. Prior to this I ask the panel one more time for responses to
(a) the request to poll members on the RALOs issue (b) the request to poll
members on a range of 12 to 15 questions to assess real democratic wishes
and aspirations of our organisation. To date Vittorio (who to his credit
regularly engages via this list) has proposed we proceed with some kind of
poll AFTER the Christmas/ New Year period. Jefsey has made his usual
valuable contributions. Apart from that...

Not good enough. Joop, I think it's just about time to set a democratic
process in motion. Much of the panel seems to be in a state of inertia and
one more panel member has resigned. As far as I'm concerned, if we do not
get a panel vote on my previous proposal by this weekend then I fully
support the Poll Booth option. But really, my proposal does not go far
enough. I think Judyth's questions (and other members may add others
including a vote of confidence in the panel) should be sent to the whole
membership. I think this would be useful to clarify the goals and purposes
of this organisation.

Joop, in the event that we have no action from the panel by this weekend, I
support James's call and your administration of it through the Poll Booth
and I will be happy to personally e-mail every member on our membership
e-mail list to give them the questions and the link.

But I would still prefer it if the initiative came from the panel.

I'd like to publicly thank Vivek Durai for his participation and
contributions. I voted for him, have respected his comments and perspective
and his resignation is a true loss, though I'm glad Vivek will continue to
participate in his own way and in his own right.

Under the rules of the election July 27 to Aug 4th we now welcome Kimberley
Heitman as a panel member (as next highest candidate voted for) if she is
willing to step in. Failing that, the order is: Gabriel Pineiro, Milan
Kapetano, Marc Derriennic, Sotiris Sotiropoulos, Ted Byfield, Eric Dierker
and further candidates.

We have now lost 3 of the original 11 elected panel members.

Richard Henderson