Re: [atlarge-discuss] Fw: Resignation

Excellent! I entirely agree with Ron's analysis. This is exactly how I see
it. I am happy to envisage two approaches, and I am happy to keep a foot in
both camps, but I personally think that many of our membership want to
remain clearly independent of ICANN, to create some clear space from it, and
I think (as Wolfgang has suggested in his own analysis) that it's time to
ballot the entire membership on a range of questions. However, to avoid
"rigged" questions, I think advocates of an ICANN-RALO based org should
phrase THEIR proposals in a form the members can vote yes or no to; and I
think advocates of an independent At Large mobilising and organising outside
ICANN's structures should phrase THEIR proposals in a form members can vote
yes or no to.

If (and it is my concern) a majority of the panel tries to force voting
choices which seem unbalanced, then I advocate the use of Joop's Poll Booth
concept as a valuable check and balance, allowing ordinary members to phrase
questions and not just the panel... indeed I see no real reason why we can't
proceed with that approach almost right away... by all means let all members
of our organisation express their views and ask their questions.

The At Large is a multiplicity. Diversifying is not something to be feared.
Let people choose what orgs they want to support... as Ron says... we may
choose to keep supporting several. But clearly, if some people want a
strategy that builds on ICANN's RALOs and some people want a strategy that
tries to supercede those RALOs and claim an independent identity free of
ICANN, then TWO organisations is no big problem, and some people could
support both approaches to help either or both prosper.

What good sense, Ron.

Richard H