Re: [atlarge-discuss] Fw: Resignation

> Excellent! I entirely agree with Ron's analysis. This is exactly how I see
> it. I am happy to envisage two approaches, and I am happy to keep a foot
> in
> both camps, but I personally think that many of our membership want to
> remain clearly independent of ICANN, to create some clear space from it,

Yes, I see this - but I have not yet understood what then is the goal, apart
from not being related to ICANN.

> and
> I think (as Wolfgang has suggested in his own analysis) that it's time to
> ballot the entire membership on a range of questions. However, to avoid
> "rigged" questions, I think advocates of an ICANN-RALO based org

There is this position, yes - but that is not what I saw as the goal of the
At-Large effort from the beginning: then it was to have an opinion and a goal
how we would like to see ICANN moving - in spite of how the present board
majority sees their goals.

> and I
> think advocates of an independent At Large mobilising and organising
> outside
> ICANN's structures should phrase THEIR proposals in a form members can
> vote
> yes or no to.

I am really looking forward to see the goal advocated here spelled out more
clearly, beyond "being outside" of ICANN.

> Let people choose what orgs they want to support...

No problem with that - but having started the first connection from Cambodia
in 1994 and always being dependent - in some aspects of our operation of the
Cambodian NGO Open Forum on the structures of ICANN - I was hoping that
there would be a stronger At-Large, deeply concerned for our information
infrastructure (which is much more than hardware), and therefore I was always hoping
for an At-Large that is targeting its energy on ICANN becoming clearly a
service agency for the Internet and its many users.

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia