Re: [atlarge-discuss] To RALO or not to RALO (was: Some Simple Facts...)

At 18:24 11/01/03, Thomas Roessler wrote:
How about doing some work on hard issues instead of continuously
demanding a role -- without having the faintest idea about what
internet governance is all about?  How about using the opportunities
you have instead of proclaiming that they're not perfect, hence
inacceptable -- without even trying to make use of them?
Dear Thomas,
I agree that you/we may get sick of people claiming a role and doing nothing else. But I am/you should be sick of the people wanting to share into a destroying role because proposed by ICANN.

1. the network is technically us (we connect our machines)
2. the network is financially us (we pay for everything)
3. we seemingly are unable to manage this network of ours, so some do it for us (USG/ICANN)
4.a if this is true, as in the telephone network, let cooperate individually, in lobbying or as a force to impose personal/group ideas.
4.b if this is untrue as in the social network let rebuild the network in a way we can manage it.

IMHO we are in the middle of many transitions:
- the prototype network technology we use is totally inappropriate to our needs
- this technology has no architecture, neither economical nor governance model. It uses for the world network, recipes of a private, 30 years old university network hi-jacked by IBM in the late mid-70s (it was the talk of the town by then)
- the society has partly waken-up to the need of an e-infrastructure for its social, political, commercial, etc networks.
- the current conception of the network built around the contract and legal authority does not fit the need. Yet it is still the predominant one.
- 60's centrally governed network concepts are definitely outdated, but they are strongly impressed in the US current culture (Homeland, TSA, ICANN, TIA, Richard Clarke) to the point we will soon have to chose between cyberwarfare and e-colonization.

In such circumstances, I favor participating into the ICANN dying yet important process to watch our interests, also to keep shouting with wolfs and rabbits because it may help, and also rebuilding the e-network in a serious way, using a serious architecture, based upon a serious analysis of the true situation: users, cyberspace, interrelations, industry possibilities, consumer priorities, national digital sovereignty and the like. Without a penny it is quite a challenge to rebuild the world, but it may not be that complex because others actors of importance are also into that game and that we are also the target they want to please.

jfc