Re: [atlarge-discuss] the root and the terror

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:23:24PM +0100, Holger Steiner wrote:

> "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" schrieb:
> >
> [snip]
> > root causes of terrorism like poverty, illiteracy and unemployment.
>
> Actually, those are NOT the sole root causes of terrorism.

I agree. Terrorism is a tool used in the struggle for power.

It's used by the wealthy and powerfull to maintain their status.

It's used by dissaffected middle classes when their position in
society is threatened.

The poor are usually tools.

Remember, many of the 9/11 terrorists were educated, and middle
class.

Terrorism is psycological warfare, and requires some sophistication to use
effectively.

The terrorism in India and Pakistan is not about the poor rising up -

It's about the struggle for dominance between cultures. Between Muslim and
Hindu, Sikhs, etc.

The 'tribal' conflicts that are as old as humanity.

The only antidote to the root cause that I know of is communication, to get
to know the others, so that they are no longer an alien, anonymous 'other'
whose humanity can be discounted.

It must be a communication of respect, though not necessarily agreement.

It must be two-way.

This is why I pay attention to Internet issues, because I find the tendency
to use the Internet as of tool of western (US) cultural dominance disturbing.

Used in this way, it is an irritant to the problem, not a salve.

David Schutt