Re: [atlarge-discuss] the root and the terror

Thank you Holger and David, for your comment. What is interesting is that both of you read a different thing than the one I read and documented and eventually came to the same conclusion.

My interest was in an a Parliament of local elected people was calling on other Parliament to help them, together to solve problem. The solution they propose is IMHO not stupid (property, illeteracy, unemployment are used either as source pool or as a motivation for more sophisticated terrorists).

The same as we all @large should unite as the reps of our local users or international center of interests or concern. And may be fight the root of our ICANN problem, for example forcing our ccTLDs out of the ICANN system or creating our own local and specialized TLDs (has anyone considered the true econmy of the IDN phenomenum :-) Then you may understand the attitude of many, starting with ccTLDs. ICANN is poor, OK. This does not make others perfect.

Our interest as @large is to defend the @large interests. And to unite for that.
jfc

On 13:43 23/01/03, david@aminal.com said:
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:23:24PM +0100, Holger Steiner wrote:
> "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" schrieb:
> [snip]
> > root causes of terrorism like poverty, illiteracy and unemployment.
> Actually, those are NOT the sole root causes of terrorism.

I agree. Terrorism is a tool used in the struggle for power.
It's used by the wealthy and powerfull to maintain their status.
It's used by dissaffected middle classes when their position in
society is threatened.
The poor are usually tools.

Remember, many of the 9/11 terrorists were educated, and middle class. Terrorism is psycological warfare, and requires some sophistication to use effectively.

The terrorism in India and Pakistan is not about the poor rising up - It's about the struggle for dominance between cultures. Between Muslim and Hindu, Sikhs, etc.
The 'tribal' conflicts that are as old as humanity.

The only antidote to the root cause that I know of is communication, to get to know the others, so that they are no longer an alien, anonymous 'other' whose humanity can be discounted.

It must be a communication of respect, though not necessarily agreement. It must be two-way.

This is why I pay attention to Internet issues, because I find the tendency to use the Internet as of tool of western (US) cultural dominance disturbing. Used in this way, it is an irritant to the problem, not a salve.