[atlarge-discuss] Re: please share with your members,and other organizations and mailings lists

Dear Jon

Thank you for your e-mail. I wonder if you could clarify please. Are you
advocating that the way we co-operate is by adopting a structure for
internet users, defined by ICANN and set within the structure of their own
organisation? Should our organisations consider setting up the structure
outside ICANN and independent of it? A kind of umbrella of groups with
similar aims and aspirations?

The interests of our groups and members may not best be served by operating
within the constraints of ICANN's structures, inevitably used by ICANN to
legitimise their own agendas and policies, and to claim to DoC that they are
involving the Internet User community, while in reality they have just
chosen to expel elected representatives of the user constituency from their
Board. The ICANN Ralo scheme is, I suspect, lip-service to the American
Government (who also want to claim legitimacy for ICANN which helps them
control the net).

We have just carried out a Poll, and a 4 to 1 majority did not trust ICANN's
At Large structures and plans. A further large majority rejected
participating in the RALOs in favour of seeking coalitions outside ICANN
with organisations like yours, and seeking to build our own independent
structures, which can develop more freely, and speak for Internet Users
worldwide, if needs be in opposition to the American Government and its
ICANN quango.

This is not to suggest that we should not make informed comments and
interventions in the ICANN arena, but to build and grow our User Structures
within ICANN from the outset could turn out to be a grave tactical error.
Are your organisations and a coalition of others not capable and keen to
develop worldwide regional structures, national structures, local structures
to represent an alliance of Internet Users outside of American and ICANN
hegemony.

The ICANN Board is hugely discredited, and they have a track record of
marginalising User groups such as the At Large. ICANN's aim is to "contain
and control" these user groups, giving them a semblance of involvement but
no real power, as a rubber stamp for their own agenda.

I would be extremely surprised if IcannatLarge chooses the ICANN structures,
because a clear majority of our members want to forge alliances, umbrellas,
and structures which are independent and possibly in opposition to ICANN.

Please do not associate Vittorio Bertola's involvement in the RALO's with
his involvement in IcannatLarge. If he participates in the ICANN Ralos
scheme, he does so as an individual or as a representative of ISOC Italy.
IcannatLarge, as things stand at the moment, appears to be opposed to any
representation in these RALOs. Our position will probably be confirmed
shortly.

Nevertheless, setting aside all these issues, I am sure that the great
majority of our members - currently over 1000 - would favour close ties and
co-operation with your organisations. I really think this would be
beneficial. Just not inside ICANN.

With kind regards,

Richard