RE: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] PROPOSAL: that an election is called for a new Panel

Richard Henderson wrote:

|  That is an issue right now. We have some understanding of what
|  the members desire. They want new elections. They want regular
|  polls. They want no part in the RALOs.

And we should give them what they want.  After all, this is *their*
organization.

But that said, a new election does nothing but turn back the timer to zero.
It does nothing to get the necessary work done to get this organization on a
firm footing.  A new panel will only be effective if the *membership* gets
actively involved.  To wit:

	- I have made several posts in the past in WG-Outreach regarding organizing
this effort.  In each case they have met with silence.  The last message was
posted in WG-Outreach November 9th.

	- I was asked by the previous panel chair to collate numerous mission
statements into a single proposed mission statement, to spur conversation.
After a few negative comments it was dropped without further action.

	- Michael Geist submitted a detailed set of bylaws as a starting point to
generate discussion on this vital topic, but was rebuffed.

That's just a short list of examples that come to a sleepy brain up past its
bed time!  But I'm sure every *active* panel member can come up with their
own list of attempts made to organize some facet of our organization that
were either met with scorn or ignored outright by the membership.  At times
it seems like we're trying to herd cats: each member trying to go off in
their own direction, with little thought of moving together towards a common
goal.

Perhaps the polls will help, by highlighting more clearly our members' idea
of what that direction is. But until the majority of the membership is
willing to cooperate and work actively towards a goal, instead of trying to
ihibit everone else's ideas, we're going nowhere.

Aside from our cause's moral imperative, I for one have invested far to much
time and mental energy in this effort to give up on it!  Others who feel
likewise need to step forward, stop lurking, and get to work!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info