RE: [atlarge-discuss] what most members want

At 03:30 p.m. 2/04/2003, Stephen Waters wrote:
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 18:46, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> At 06:05 a.m. 2/04/2003, espresso@e-scape.net wrote:
>
> >It's also one of the reasons I believe an e-mail ballot is
> >preferable - one reaches more people fairly quickly and people
> >can respond more easily than by spending time looking at one
> >Web page after another. Some would disagree with me on that
> >but I think it is worth a try and could hardly get a lower
> >response rate than the recent poll.
>
> I hope you are aware of the fact that the voting members in majority think
> differently.
> Email ballot is not preferred.
> It is too easy to fake responses.

but remember, your poll only took into account people who have web
access with their email.
Yes, I am acutely aware of that. It is a self-selected bunch, who use tyranny of the majority to be able to use the web as the tool for their democracy.

The solution: a separate pressure group for those who either prefer email-only or have no other Net access. They must have unique concerns and I am sure Norbert or Judyth can champion their cause and rally large numbers behind them.
There is a great deal of common ground left. There should be a place under the icannatlarge.org umbrella for every such group.

Better to talk about self-enfranchising than about dis-enfranchising.

 i'm quite concerned the rest will be
disenfranchised altogether (even if the number is small).
I think we have to help the majority first with the means at our disposal.

After that come the one or two members who *want* to vote but cannot. (not even when they get 10 days to find an internet cafe or a library)

-Those who profess to believe in direct democracy pass the real test when they disagree with a result, but still respect it.-

-joop