Re: [atlarge-discuss] Thawte certificate... WoT

At 10:22 a.m. 28/04/2003, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

I agree. And I also think that an elected membership committee should have discretion in accepting whatever unique method of identification a member can present.
I disagree. I think we should settle on several alternatives but allow for the possibility that the panel may have to make the odd discretionary decision in extremely exceptional cases.
Sotiris,

"We should settle" is placing the cart before the horse.
If "we" is something other than elected representatives, we (all) have a problem. Especially if no election is allowed to proceed before "we" have settled on all the alternative verification methods.
Our current voters list does not appear to suffer from a significant number of fraudulent entries.
It is good enough for the moment.

After the members elect the needed officers, *they* can scrutinize the list further and challenge the doubtful entries.

With regards to Thawte, what surprises me is that no-one has brought up that this company is now 100% owned by Verisign.

Did you not know that, Sotiris?
Actually, I had heard that Verisign was interested in acquiring Thawte some time ago, but not that they had done so... Oh well, must have missed the news.

Does it matter?
I think it does.

-joop-