Re: [atlarge-discuss] Thawte certificate... WoT

Sotiris Sotiropoulos said:
>> 3) I think a Paypal account would be sufficient for our purposes,
>> provided that it was a verified account.

and Holger Steiner responded:
>Paypal is not known for their reliability or trustiness.
>I for instance will never do business with them again.

There seem to be quite a number of people who feel that
way. PayPal is also being prosecuted in the U.S. for
operating an unauthorized bank and being sued by various
individuals and companies.

One quite reasonable alternative for identification
purposes might be to incorporate the group, at least in
preliminary form -- e.g., a charter that specifies it is
a non-profit operation which exists expressly "to promote
public education and information on the need for a
non-commercial Internet users' constituency". As primarily
educational (rather than a lobby group, private club, etc.)
it could probably obtain charitable status without too
much difficulty, and it could legitimately use any
donations collected to pay the eventual ICANNATLARGE.ORG
to develop the educational materials, user forums, etc.
for its Web site.

This new organization could then open a real bank account
and ask prospective members to send in small personal
donations by personal cheque or electronic transfer,
along with a real-world name and address as well as their
online identity. There would thus be no need to have
PayPal or Verisign or whoever involved, and people who
have no actual need of their own digital certificate (which
is most people around the world) wouldn't be compelled
to pay for one. Meanwhile, the money collected could
actually be used to do something useful.

My two cents Canadian, FWIW,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>