Re: [atlarge-discuss] Thawte certificate... WoT

espresso@e-scape.net schrieb:

> Sotiris Sotiropoulos said:
> >> 3) I think a Paypal account would be sufficient for our purposes,
> >> provided that it was a verified account.
>
> and Holger Steiner responded:
> >Paypal is not known for their reliability or trustiness.
> >I for instance will never do business with them again.
>
> There seem to be quite a number of people who feel that
> way. PayPal is also being prosecuted in the U.S. for
> operating an unauthorized bank and being sued by various
> individuals and companies.
>
> One quite reasonable alternative for identification
> purposes might be to incorporate the group, at least in
> preliminary form -- e.g., a charter that specifies it is
> a non-profit operation which exists expressly "to promote
> public education and information on the need for a
> non-commercial Internet users' constituency". As primarily
> educational (rather than a lobby group, private club, etc.)
> it could probably obtain charitable status without too
> much difficulty, and it could legitimately use any
> donations collected to pay the eventual ICANNATLARGE.ORG
> to develop the educational materials, user forums, etc.
> for its Web site.

This would be easier I think than to say: "We are the new government of
the Internet.".
;-)

> This new organization could then open a real bank account
> and ask prospective members to send in small personal
> donations by personal cheque or electronic transfer,
> along with a real-world name and address as well as their
> online identity. There would thus be no need to have
> PayPal or Verisign or whoever involved, and people who
> have no actual need of their own digital certificate (which
> is most people around the world) wouldn't be compelled
> to pay for one. Meanwhile, the money collected could
> actually be used to do something useful.

I am not into the banking technicalities, but this sounds much better
than PayPal.

As long as it is not the banking account of the internet inventor on
this list...
;-)

greetings
Holger