RE: [atlarge-discuss] Last Man Standing

Joop Teernstra wrote:

|  Up to now, the subscribers here have simply accepted the status
|  of the ML that was on offer.
|  The members have never been  consulted on whether it should be
|  transparent (subscribers can see who else is subscribed) or not,
|  moderated or not, etc.  Something for the next Poll perhaps.

Indeed.  I see no particular reason why we can't have member visibility
over the list.  Not e-mail addresses, obviously, but certianly by name,
and maybe region.

|  In the meantime, any member can offer his own ML  with its own
|  list rules
|  and brave (or foolhardy) is the person who offers a moderated list with
|  rules that force him to act as moderator all by himself.

Yes.  And I think we need to be doing this, particularly for working
groups.  I know we tried it before, and it was only marginally effective,
but I blame the lack of effectiveness less on the moderator than on the
general lack of participation.  We need to get a larger number of active
members willing to take on tasks and run with them!

|  In the meantime, any member can offer his own ML  with its own
|  list rules
|  and brave (or foolhardy) is the person who offers a moderated list with
|  rules that force him to act as moderator all by himself.

No thank you! :)

|  >I would put in place the barest, finely targeted rules
|  possibble, and limit
|  >banning to the most egregious of acts, things way beyond the bounds of
|  >propriety.
|
|  Such as deliberate (but polite) making of false statements?

If they are proven false?  Certianly that would be an issue.  But we'd
have to lock down very succinctly what constitutes a violation, and
even then the burden of proof would be on us, requiring facts, not
anecdotal evidence alone.

|  Propriety has many colors. List rules should be aimed at
|  saboteurs, not at members who might use an expletive or two.
|  Not easy.

Indeed.  But figuring out who they are *before* they commit their
acts will be the real trick!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info