Re: [atlarge-discuss] Proposed Ballot Question

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> Dear Jan,
> You have been updated in the voting list I maintain for this election for a
> long.
> Since you support that question: may trade that update aganist the editing
> of the English of that question? Thank you. jfc

Thank you, Jefsey.  I look forward to receiving the ballot.

Your request is a reasonable one but hardly necessary.  The question's
wording in English is understandable enough, if a bit less idiomatic than I
would make it.  What follows is my edit, which as you will see consists
almost entirely of cosmetic changes only.  I hope that it preserves the
original intended meaning.

"The main problem affecting the icannatlarge community is the lack of
interest in communication through its mailing list, coupled with the
less-than-professional level of discourse exhibited there.  To date, it has
mainly been used for disputes among trolls, administrative details, personal
feuds, etc.  And there has been no formal way of validating the identity of
the participants.

"Would you support a member-paid list one could join for a symbolic fee (say
US$1 for an individual or US$10 for a professional)?  The transaction would
serve both as a banking certification establishing the member's identity, and
for financing a professional independent list management service, managed by
a non-profit dedicated association providing a disinterested but very strict
"sergeant at arms."  The managed list would have a simple automated motion
and election system."