[atlarge-discuss] Re: Bylaws Discussion [:alternative method:]

Dear Mauro,

Re:  << I propose that the elect Panel and (I suggest) the commission for the
writing of the statutes, elaborate a draft of statutes and later put to
voting of all the members. >>

Over one year ago (April 2002), our Panelists were given a mandate with a
limited number of tasks:

#2. "guiding the public and open discussion of Bylaws for a new At Large
Membership organization, trying to gather consensus, consider all inputs, unify
all efforts, and put together, after no more than two months from its election,
one or more proposals of Bylaws to be then submitted and approved by a
majority vote of the membership;"
http://www.icannatlarge.com/voting0.htm

The first two Panels did nothing.  Now we await the results of the "third"
election, and not one of the candidates has discussed his vision of the future
of this organization's structure.  For that matter, there has also been
virtually no disussion of any DNS issues or any other issues of major importance to
the Internet user community.

If we rely solely on the good will of Panelists to get something done, I
assure that we will still be waiting by this time next year.  The impetus must be
generated from the bottom-up on the discussion list.  I understand that this
poses a hardship for most candidates that can't even be bothered to participate
in a debate on the organization's discussion list, but so be it.

We are better off having a preliminary debate amongst ourselves at a high
level of granularity before we attempt to drill down to the specifics.  If we
handle the preparatory work, perhaps the future leaders of this organization will
be inclined to respond to such an initiative and might actually move forward
to get something done.  However, if we drop the discussion now in favor of a
small Panelist-only drafting team, we will likely be rewarded with nothing more
than a spate of excuses as to why the project once more is not being
accomplished.

Let the discussion/debate continue on this list for a while... there are
still a great many views that need to be heard before anyone can arrive at a
general consensus on the best way forward.

Danny