Re: [atlarge-discuss] The issue of non-voting panelists

response below... er... is that proper protocol..?

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel R. Tobias <dan@tobias.name>
To: Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@hermesnetwork.com>
Cc: Ron Sherwood <sherwood@islands.vi>; Atlarge Discuss List
<atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] The issue of non-voting panelists

> On 1 Jun 2003 at 12:37, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>
> > >I totally agree... with the addition that on this basis a renegade
> > >panelist could 'get away' with a 33% voting record by voting once in
> > >three votes, so I think all panelists should be bound to vote 75% of
> > >the time, in addition to the three strikes and you're out rule!
> >
> > I fully support this.
>
> How frequently will votes be?  Somebody could be on vacation for a
> week and not be able to check their email.
>
> --
> == Dan ==

Firstly, if a panel member is going on holiday or a trip (or even
unexpectedly called away) then we should expect them to notify someone. A
proxy vote or leave of absence can be arranged.

Secondly, if the Panel is functioning properly and with due process, then
*notice* of votes should be given well in advance, so that both panelists
and general members can contribute to discussions. This notice should
normally be at least a week.

Therefore, there should be opportunity to anticipate impending votes and
take appropriate action.

The panel as a whole would undoubtedly be sympathetic to specific just
circumstances. Common sense has to prevail. But what can't be tolerated are
panelists who fail to participate and fail to vote in successive votes.

I hope, incidentally, that the Panel will take early steps to *DEFINE* the
procedure for voting, and take into account the need to allow time for
*consultation* with members and fellow panelists before votes take place.

ALL motions should be published, all dates of votes should be published, all
results should be published... ideally not only on this list but on the
Website too.

Richard H