Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership fees

Danny, with respect, you are comparing apples and rutabagas.

At the bottom, you say "you get what you pay for," but what do you get back from belonging to any of these three organizations, or hundreds of similar ones? Obviously it varies some from org to org, but, generally speaking:

1. Publications that are free to members, priced or unavailable to non-members;
2. Discounted or free admission to certain programs put on by the organization;
3. Because of group bargaining power, discounts on goods and services as wide-ranging as travel, health and life insurance, etc.

And so on. In the case of ACM, many consider access to the ACM Portal to be worth the price of membership by itself.

This organization certainly should not be "diversifying" into doing anything remotely resembling my number 3 above. If there comes a time when we do have regular publications and/or programs, one must question seriously whether it would be antithetical to the reason for this organization to charge anything for such matters, to charge non-members more than members, or to limit availability only to members.

My own thoughts on whether this organization should charge something for membership are not fully formed, there are arguments both ways. But comparing this organization (even if it develops into what we would like to see it become) to ALA, ACM, IEEE or many others does not advance the debate meaningfully.