Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership fees

Danny and all fellow members,

  Your right of course that it takes a lot of $$ to compete
for influence and acquire or create  political influence.

 Most members of ICANNATLARGE.ORG seem to me to
be of little means financially speaking and or little knowledge
as to how to acquire financial resources as I have harped
about a number of times.  But it is also not reasonable to
conclude or determine that such financial largess cannot
be gained or otherwise acquired by the less financially fortunate
members of this organization or the fledgling organization
as a whole making itself able to collect or otherwise properly
and legally acquire significant funds from means other than
membership fees.

  Many members here I doubt have $50.00 us to spare or
would be willing to part with as a membership fee for ANY
organization.

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Re:  << what do you get back from belonging to any of these three
> organizations, or hundreds of similar ones?   >>
>
> Organizations that are properly funded have the capital to:
>
> 1.  Incorporate
> 2.  Subsidize fees associated with representatives' travel to necessary
> conferences
> 3.  Pay for member teleconferences
> 4.  Organize meetings and pay for the cost of the venue
> 5.  Pay for professional services, ranging from election services to
> Secretariat services.
>
> All over the world people are accustomed to paying a membership fee when they
> join an organization.  Well-funded organizations invariably are more
> successful at lobbying than those with no capital.  This organization purportedly has
> over 1000 members.... if each paid a reasonable mininum membership fee of at
> least $50 (a lower amount than other similar organizations), then we would
> already have a budget of $50,000 that could readily subsidize designated
> representatives' travel to ICANN sessions in Montreal, Carthage, etc.  (The assumption,
> of course, is that the "members" care enough about the mission and goals of
> this organization to offer a modicum of financial support).
>
> Will ICANNatlarge be sending the Chair of its Panel to Montreal to represent
> the interests of this community?  Of course not, it has no money.  Is it in
> the best interests of this community not to have a designated spokesman present
> at such events?
>
> I have watched other groups, such as the IDNO, attempt to function without
> the benefit of a dues structure.  Those groups are gone.  They achieved nothing.
>  Other groups, that chose to establish membership fees, are still here:  the
> Business Constituency, the Intellectual Property lobby, etc. and they continue
> to successfully influence the decision-makers.

    Pierre Abelard