Re: [atlarge-discuss] The Silence of Dan Halloran and Paul Twomey

Danny, Richard and all fellow members,

 The only sure way at this point in time for members of this
fledgling organization or any other truly stakeholder/user
organization to get ICANN's attention is to take them
to court in violation of the MoU and the White Paper.

 I don't presently see this fledgling organization now, or
in even the mid term future ever being able and/or
willing to do so.  And certainly presently, this fledgling
organization does not have the money to do so and
are therefore dependent on some lawyer to pro bono
such services.  I am therefore pretty sure that ICANN
feels safe and secure in the fact that stakeholder/user
organizations are VERY unlikely to challenge them
directly or indirectly with any severity or viable
outcome disadvantageous to ICANN's present
course.

  To me this means that this fledgling organization will need
to develop a political strategy and a set of tactics by which they
can get their voices heard and votes counted on issues
that effect them.  This will not be easy or cheap.

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Richard,
>
> If I might make a suggestion...
>
> On September 20, 2002 the U.S. Department of Commerce released a "statement"
> that accompanied the renewal of ICANN's MOU.  That document said in part:
>
> "the Department is very much aware of the concerns expressed by individual
> Internet stakeholders that ICANN is not always responsive to inquiries regarding
> DNS management issues. Although not specifically referenced in the MOU, the
> Department hopes that ICANN will develop processes and set aside appropriate
> resources to ensure it promptly responds to constituent inquiries. The
> Department hopes ICANN will include in its quarterly status reports details on how the
> organization implements processes and mechanisms to ensure responsiveness to
> such inquiries."
>
> Personally, I think that it's long past time for the members of icannatlarge
> to draft a letter to the DOC expressing concern over ICANN's repeated refusal
> to respond to your inquiries.  Non-responsiveness to the user community is a
> major issue that should be tackled by this group.

    Pierre Abelard