Re: [atlarge-discuss] Philippines question

At 12:57 p.m. 3/06/2003, Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
Since I believe from earlier discussion there's at least one person
on this list who's in the Philippines, I'd like you to check
something for me.  I have a report that the GoDaddy domain registrar
has blocked all access to its site from the Philippines, to the
consternation of domain registrants who live there and find
themselves unable to access their accounts.  This appears to be
breach of contract on the part of GoDaddy (at least with regard to
blocking access from existing registrants; refusing to take new
registrations from there would be legal though still discriminatory).
Perhaps ICANN ought to take action against them for this.

Anyway, can any Philippine members try this URL:
http://registrar.godaddy.com/
to verify that it is in fact blocked?
Good thing that you raised this, Dan. I wasn't aware of it.

I hear from my many friends in the Philippines that access is indeed blocked.

This was posted on a ML i'm on:

GoDaddy doesn't care what the suffix on your domain is.  They don't look
at that at all.  What they do is sniff your IP address when you go to
log into one of the sites on the server.  If you try to go to the site
using a Philippine-based IP address they simply don't let in.  This is
pretty common practice with many web sites.  Especially any kind of web
site accepting credit cards or other financial type web sites. If you
happen to be in the Philippines and want to look at the web site that
they're blocking, all you need to do is mask you IP address and make
them think you're coming from another country.  What is the reason
they're doing it?  Because there's a lot of credit card fraud in the
Philippines.  People go on and buy domain names and other services using
a stolen credit card.  However , this doesn't make sense if somebody
just wants to go to a hosted web site, but I guess GoDaddy has their
reasons.
What is really frightening is
"This is pretty common practice with many web sites."

But for a registrar to do this too...is pretty drastic. Perhaps it is the identity problem attached to stolen credit cards and the concomitant danger that a Domain may get transferred with the help of a stolen CC.

Credit cards and identity. Hmm.

-joop-