RE: [atlarge-discuss] ICANNAtlarge trademark infringement

At 02:32 AM 6/7/2003 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
> From: James S. Tyre [mailto:jstyre@jstyre.com]
> As I said here at the time, I do not agree with John's analysis; but it
> isn't black and white.

Please make your case.

In brief summary (I'm tired).

John's analysis (as I recall, I have not just gone back to look at it) was that it was black and white, but it isn't, the mere fact that a trademark is used in a domain name is not, by itself, conclusive. It is only one factor to consider, there are many, many cases that say that, as he would agree. Here, probably the most important (but not conclusive) factor in favor of the current name is the express recognition of it by the ALAC-predecessor (forgive me for not remembering the acronym, there have been so many). The knowledge and actions of an agent (ALAC-predecessor) acting within the scope of authority are charged to the principal (ICANN).

The passage of time also works in our favor, this organization was much newer then. Not in a strict statute of limitations sense (yet), but under the concept of laches. The longtime existence of sites such as ICANNwatch and Bret's ICANN blog also work in our favor, though, contrary to what some have said here, those facts are not conclusive either.

I don't know how many such cases John has handled in comparison to how many I have, let's just say that each of us has experience in the field, this is a case where informed, reasonable people can differ.

Which leads back to a point in my prior post - even if I am right that it is more likely than not that this organization would prevail, the cost, the risk factor and so forth are not to be taken lightly.