Re: [atlarge-discuss] Mistaken identity

At 10:05 PM 6/25/2003 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:

A British man accused by Microsoft of spamming has told the BBC it is a case
of mistaken identity and he will fight to clear his name.

This case concerns me and I wish there were an effective user organization
that could do something for Simon Grainger, who, on the face of it, looks to
be a genuine case of mistaken identity, but he has limited resources to
defend his name.

Can we do anything? If so, what?

Allow me to give an indirect answer, one probably more appropriate for future reference than for here, if only because of geography.

It would be great if we could help, but sometimes - like it or not - resort to attorneys is necessary. In that regard, many of the things that do or should concern us also concern the Electronic Frontier Foundation, www.eff.org. Though their own resources are limited, they have a pretty good network of cooperating attorneys, attorneys who will work with them, or simply take a referral from them - for a fee if the client can pay, pro bono (free) if the client can't. Something like this, or a domain name dispute, or many other things that should interest us also interest them, it's a resource you should know of if/when a lawyer is necessary.

I do not speak for EFF, I am not an EFF staff attorney. But, while maintaining my own practice, I have worked more closely with EFF than any outside attorney over the last several years, so I do know of what I speak.

Something to file in the memory bank.