Re: [atlarge-discuss] REPORT on VOTE on MOTION 2003-16 moderated maillist rules

Yesiree Bob the hair rose up on the back of my neck when Jeffjeff Holtwilliams said  "Yet I volunteer to aid as a moderator in helping to
adequately and in an unbiased way, enforce them
as fairly as possible..."

God help us if we let the foxes provide security for the hen houses!

Jeff Williams posted 462 email to this list in the month of June.

That ain't even counting the posts from his real ego Jeff Holt.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
Abel and all fellow members,

As Eric is often fond of saying these proposed posting
rules are contrary to openness and transparency.

They are in and of themselves 1.) Not approved by the
vote of the members, 2.) IMHO, represent a egregious
form of CENSORSHIP that is counterproductive.

Hence even when able to actually enforce them, in doing
so would take the risk of damaging this membership even further.

Abel Wisman wrote:

> [...]
> golden rule: "do not feed the troll", i.e., ignore the person who tries
> to abuse the list by stirring up emotions.
>
> 3. Remain civil at all times, even when you feel provoked. Persistent
> incivility will be rewarded with removal from the List.
>
> You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, libelous, hateful,
> threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate
> any applicable laws. Doing so willfully may lead to being immediately
> and permanently banned or your posting rights being restricted.
> As a subscriber you agree that any posting that you have made is being
> stored in a web based archive.
> Civility includes not reposting private correspondence, unless such
> correspondence was abusive or threatening and its reposting is in the
> public interest.
>
> 4. Provocations by way of false statements.
> Many of the people that will congregate on the icannatlarge ML, have
> interacted with each other before.
> To forestall a repeat the pattern of character assassination that has
> prevailed on other mailing lists, the following rules will apply with
> regards to False Statements:
>
> False statements can be made innocently as a result of an honest mistake
> in recollection. However, they can also serve as highly effective
> provocations that skirt the civility rule.
>
> a. When an allegedly false statement is made, each member who knows
> otherwise has the right to challenge the statement with the comment
> FALSE or PLEASE RETRACT. However, the member being challenged may ignore
> the challenge without fear of repercussion unless the challenging member
> quotes the exact statement being challenged and states the basis on
> which the challenging member knows the statement to be false. b. When
> such a challenge is issued, the poster so challenged must provide
> evidence of the truth of his statement within 5 days, or retract.
> c. Repeated refusal to retract unproven statements is followed by
> removal from the Mailing list.
> d. When the challenged statement is a negative, (such as "I have never
> said...") and therefore not provable, the challenger must provide proof
> that the statement is false or retract his challenge within 5 days.
> e. Refusal to retract an unproven FALSE challenge in case of a negative
> statement can also lead to removal from the Mailing list.
>
> Respecting low bandwidth recipients:
>
> 5. Mail posted to the list should in ASCII and be free of attachments.
> Postings should not contain unnecessary quotes and tailings from
>
> 6. At times of heavy list traffic, the moderator may impose daily
> posting limits for all but Panel Members and Committee Chairs. The
> suggested limit is 5 posts per 24 hours.
>
> These rules are enforced at the discretion of elected Moderators and
> will be in force until replaced with democratically agreed rules via a
> vote.
>
> VOTE on Motion 2003-16 moderated maillist rules:

Pierre Abelard