From: Richard Henderson [mailto:richardhenderson@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 1:55 PM
To: atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de; JFC Morfin @large
Cc: jo-uk@rcn.com
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [Members] Discuss list gone?

Hi Jefsey - my comments below...

----- Original Message -----
From: JFC Morfin @large <jfc@atlarge.ws>

[snipped contention]

> BTW, would yours not be an ad hominem?
> Are you not violating the new list charter?
>
> jfc

Jefsey, this unwelcome dialogue is taking place on the *old* open
mailing
list and is therefore not subject to the rules of the *new* moderated
list.

It is exactly to get away from these unwanted threads that we
established a
new mailing list which could block unnecessary personal clashes and
focus on
the actual *work*.

As a moderator of the new list, I assure you I would have intervened by
now
and blocked this thread, asking both of you to continue it offlist
(because
the dispute is going nowhere).

With regard to the issue of your membership, this is a serious matter
both
for you and for those who challenge your position. Therefore the logical
thing to do, having previously resigned, is to re-apply for membership;
and
if the Panel (which you helped to create) wants to react then let them.
Then
again, you are quite obviously an involved member of the At Large,
whether
you belong to this particular organisation or not.

My take on the mailing list rules for the moderated list is this : part
of
our maturity and responsibility to the group, in joining a working
mailing
list, is to seriously impose self-restraint on ourselves, and prioritise
the
actual work and tasks and structures being developed.

Personal antagonism can be continued offlist but serves only to get in
the
way of what members are working hard to achieve on this list. I think
after
the drivel that overwhelmed our previous list, most members would cry:
"Enough!"

I am very conscious that a core of committed members are making
sacrifices
in their personal lives and working incredibly hard on our behalf.
(Certainly working harder than me!) Moderating ad hominems off the list
is
not meant to be an act of moral superiority on my part (I have to abide
by
the same rules) but rather an act of pragmatic respect to those people
who
give up much time to build this organisation and deserve a rational
troll-free list to work through.

I think this group has become more determined to actually achieve
practical
goals. This accounts for a change of tone in the management of the new
central list, and for a near-zero tolerance of the mayhem of
personalities
that helped keep us off course for over a year, when you and I, Jefsey,
were
on a panel which achieved almost nothing. We just let people ride
roughshod
over our mailing list until it was flooded, abusive, and an
incomprehensible
turn-off to new members.

Perhaps, in line with my sentiments, we could pursue any further
dialogue on
this matter *offlist* - I'm sending one post on your thread to this
list,
and one only.

Yrs with good wishes,

Richard