[FYI] (Fwd) FC: McCain also loves government-coerced Internet filter

Date sent:      	Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:15:36 -0800 (PST)
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject:        	FC: McCain also loves government-coerced Internet filtering
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

[I was there when McCain's commerce committee voted for COPA/CDA II.
McCain was smiling widely for the TV cameras, saying how the Feds
needed to clean up the net, protect the children, etc. --Declan]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:14:13 -0500
From: deleted
To: declan@well.com
Subject: Re: FC: George W. Bush endorses Internet filtering

Declan,

If you use this, pls. delete my info.

Bush may have endorsed a library filtering resolution debated by a
local community, but as I'm sure you'll recall, McCain sponsored
national legislation that would force all schools and libraries to do
so, at the peril of losing their share of what has (by latest
estimates) now grown to over $4 billion of federal funding.  (S. 97,
1st Session, 106th Congress;
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c106:./temp/~c106nzbshw - Just
one more reason to question the FCC's handling of the implementation
of Sec. 254 of the '96 Telecom Act, but that's another story.)

BTW, I'm sure many politechnicals would be interested in any info on
reports I've seen/heard that McCain's tax plan considers credits for
advertising a "loophole" that needs to be closed.  This would have
serious implications for businesses that advertise on the Internet (to
say nothing of those dotcoms that rely on banner ads for revenue).
I've not seen anything to cofirm or deny this; you're readers want to
be informed.

Thanks!