[FYI] (Fwd) FC: DVD lawsuit judge complains about hackers, "cyber-an

Date sent:      	Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:17:20 -0800
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: DVD lawsuit judge complains about hackers, "cyber-anarchists"
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

*******
A photo I took of everyone's favorite DeCSS judge:
http://www.wired.com/news/images/thumbs/kaplanthumb1116.jpg
*******

    DVD Piracy Judge Tells All
    by Declan McCullagh (declan@wired.com)

    2:00 a.m. Nov. 17, 2000 PST
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan doesn't truly
    dislike hackers and open-source programmers, not exactly.

    Kaplan, who sided with the motion picture industry in a landmark
    DVD-descrambling lawsuit this year, simply views them as lawless
    miscreants.

    To Kaplan, a 56-year-old jurist who once represented Time Warner
    as a lawyer in private practice, the coders who crafted the DeCSS
    DVD-decrypting utility are "what might be called cyber-freedom
    fighters, or perhaps cyber-anarchists."

    In August, Kaplan ruled that the DeCSS Windows program violated
    the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and compared the spread of
    the application to a "common-source outbreak epidemic."

    [...]

    "Little did I know, when I was scribbling away, that (the)
    decision would receive so much attention," Kaplan said Thursday
    afternoon at a "Beyond Napster" symposium organized by American
    University's Washington College of Law.

    [...]