[FYI] MS testers shout 'Linux!' over Whistler copy protection

------------------------------ CUT -----------------------------

MS testers shout 'Linux!' over Whistler copy protection

By: John Lettice

[...]

Curiously, the final FAQ in one of the Microsoft documents isn't a Q
that you'd think was being that F Aed right now: Has Product
Activation got anything to do with Microsoft.NET?

Here's the answer, which we think boils down to Yes, and some: "Anti-
piracy technologies, such as Microsoft Product Activation, balance
both the needs of consumers in acquiring the content they want, and
the rights of content owners to protect the distribution of their
works. In a .NET environment, where digital content and services are
accessed on a variety of devices that communicate with each other,
the protection of digital content must accompany the facilitation of
Internet services. Such a seamless interaction is at the heart of the
Microsoft .NET intellectual property protection vision."

Note that what Microsoft is talking about here is not protection of
its own application and operating software IP, as is the case with
Product Activation, but of digital content in general. We foresee the
return of the tollgate vision, and await Microsoft's next stabs at
its construction with interest. ®