[FYI] (Fwd) FC: European Parliament plans vote Nov. 13 to ban cookie

Date sent:      	Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:31:37 -0500
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
Subject:        	FC: European Parliament plans vote Nov. 13 to ban cookies
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

[Let me get this right: Instead of encouraging users to disable
cookies, or suggesting browsers like Opera that offer excellent ways
to fine-tune cookie use, a Eurocrat (W.G. van Velzen) wants to try to
ban 'em. Doesn't matter how many jobs will be lost in the
already-beleagured online advertising industry, van Velzen insists,
because some nebulous "privacy right" demands it. Perhaps there's a
bright side to this nonsense: European entrepreneuers may choose to
move to the more hospitable business climate of the U.S., and European
citizens, realizing that websites all over the rest of the world still
use cookies, will recognize how nutty and anti-free enterprise their
politicians really are. --Declan]

---

   Europe Goes After the Cookie
   Reuters
   6:20 a.m. Oct. 31, 2001 PST

   LONDON -- The "cookie," a simplistic identification tag that most
   Internet users unknowingly carry when surfing the Web, runs the
   risk of being outlawed under a proposed privacy directive from the
   European Commission.

   The legislation has triggered concern in Europe's Internet
   advertising community. The Interactive Advertising Bureau UK (IAB)
   said British companies could lose 187 million pounds ($272.1
   million) if the directive is ratified.

   "Cookies have been branded as spyware tools, or some kind of
   subversive software," Danny Meadows-Klue, chairman of the IAB
   United Kingdom, told Reuters. "But it's what we use everyday."

   The IAB has marshaled support from its members across Europe to
   launch a lobbying effort it calls "Save our Cookies."

   [...]