[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Anti-spammers now targeting "open proxies?"

Date sent:      	Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:52:09 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Anti-spammers now targeting "open proxies?"
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=a5itt8%24v1p%241%40ns.osirusoft.c
om&output=gplain

Let's not be too quick to condemn all "open proxies" (an
unenlightening term if I ever heard one). Ones that forward on port 80
are what most of us call anonymizers, and view as good.

-Declan

---

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:45:41 -0500
From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com>
Subject: Open Relays vs. Open Proxies

Subject: [SpamCop-Digest] Open Relays vs. Open Proxies
From: spamcop-digest-admin@news.spamcop.net
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:40:44 -0800

This is more of a spam-fighting-in-general, vs. SpamCop specifically.

Recently, as I'm sure you're all aware, there has been a massive
increase of spam from Korea, in both Korean and English. In the past,
much of this spam was sent via misconfigured mailservers called "open
relays", in North America, Europe, and Asia.

A new means of sending spam, an "open proxy", is even more devious --
it does not maintain header chains, and it appears that the proxy
server is indeed the original sender. No information about the actual
sender is transmitted in the email message.

http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-digest/2002-April/000012.htm

--- Politech dinner in SF on 4/16:
http://www.politechbot.com/events/cfp2002/