[FYI] Win-XP Search Assistant silently downloads files

-------------------------------- CUT -------------------------------

Win-XP Search Assistant silently downloads files

By Thomas C Greene in Washington

Just over a week ago, while searching for a file on a Windows-XP
machine, I was surprised to see the Search Assistant attempting to
activate my Internet connection. It puzzled me because I wasn't
searching the Internet, only my local drive. I was busy with other
things at the time, but I made a mental note to look into it soon,
which I promptly forgot to do.

This morning, Reg reader Jody Melbourne rattled my cage, fresh from
having made the same discovery. He'd noticed that the Assistant was
establishing a connection with a machine at Microsoft.

[...]