[FYI] Business Software Alliance (BSA) released a cyberterror FUD bomb

------------------------------ CUT -------------------------------

Big software pushes hard for national Gestapo

By Thomas C Greene in Washington

I was puzzled last month when industry lobby the Business Software
Alliance (BSA) released a cyberterror FUD bomb. Or, rather, a FUD dud
-- a laughably meaningless survey of the opinions of so-called "IT
pros" all laboring under the delusion that a deadly national
catastrophe by electronic means is just around the corner.

Was that a one-off lapse in judgment, I wondered. A quick and dirty
publicity stunt? Why would the BSA suddenly become concerned with
cyberterror? Are they developing some software-based national-defense
panacea? I found it puzzling enough to solicit readers for insight
and theory. I thank everyone who contributed their ideas, but I must
say that even with their help I couldn't quite add it all up.

But now the BSA is at it again, repeating its bizarre performance,
and it's all suddenly making sense.

[...]

See also

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/pmz-25.07.02-001/