[FYI] Frequent Search Engine Users, Google Is Watching and Counting

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/06/technology/06goog.html?ei=5062&en=6b48de
61370e996b&ex=1066017600&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=>

---SNIP---
October 6, 2003
Frequent Search Engine Users, Google Is Watching and Counting
By LISA NAPOLI

Think of it as an odometer for a search engine.

The Web search service Google has quietly started placing a counter on its home page for a small number of its most frequent users.

Most Google users do not have it, but a select few now have a no-frills counter that with each search clicks higher, noting "You have done 479 searches," or whatever the actual number.

For the curious, an explanatory page linked to the counter reveals that this is a test, or limited-sample experiment of a new search counting feature.
[...]
---SNAP---

Slashdot:
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/06/0427208>

Und nochwas zu google auf slashdot: What's Wacky with Google?
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/06/1331239>

--
O Canada! / Our home and native land! / True patriot love in all thy sons
command. / With glowing hearts we see thee rise, / The True North strong and