Re: [FYI] Is Open Source Fertile Ground for Foul Play?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Axel H Horns wrote:

> <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/12/1944215>
>
> Is Open Source Fertile Ground for Foul Play?
>
> Posted by CmdrTaco on Thursday February 12, @04:03PM from the
> something-to-think-about dept.
>
> jsrjsr writes "In an article DevX.com entitled Open Source Is Fertile
> Ground for Foul Play, W. Russell Jones argues that open source
> software is bad stuff. He argues that open source software, because
> of its very openness, will inevitably lead to security concerns.

Hier eine Mail von der Liste der australischen Linux User Group Victoria:

From: Greg Bromage
To: luv <luv@luv.asn.au>

Hi there!

the Australian answer is "The Defence Signals Directorate".

Having worked in a secured government agency in the past, I can tell you
that for the things that need to be kept secure, everything undergoes
rigorous testing before it's certified.  What I suspect will happen, if
it's not underway already, is that DSD will produce their own Linux
distribution for government purposes and only put in such packages that
have been fully audited.

And that's one of the key advantages to open source for governments. The
source code is available for auditing and customisation. Surely, the
bigger risk is having rogue code inserted into proprietary software.

Regards,
Greg