Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 20:55:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ed Schwartz <edcivic@libertynet.org>
To: :  ;
Subject: NetActivism: How Citizens Use the Internet

This release went out from O'Reilly today.

"Communet" is one of the lists that I describe extensively in
a chapter on listservs.

Ed Schwartz

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>August 1, 1996

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT
> [...]
>sites.
>
>A leader in citizen movements for more than 30 years, author Schwartz
>embraced the Internet not because it's cool, but because it gets the
>job done. He has an extensive online presence: a Web site
>(http://libertynet.org/community/phila/natl.html) that serves community
>activists across the country, a mailing list that discusses civic
>values, and ties to a community network that organizes citizens across
>the city of Philadelphia. "NetActivism" features real-world examples
>from Schwartz's Institute for Civic Values and a host of other citizen
>groups, including the Downtown Minneapolis Residents Association and
>Project VoteSmart.
>
>Community activists, politicians--and any concerned citizens who care
>about their community--will find "NetActivism" packed with advice on
>conducting online research, getting the right equipment and software,
>using online networks in local communities, and crafting political
>campaigns on the Net.
>
>"NetActivism: How Citizens Use the Internet" will be released on
>September 24. Produced by O'Reilly affiliate Songlione Studios for
>O'Reilly's Songline Guide imprint, "NetActivism" includes a CD-ROM with
>Internet software and limited free online time.
>
>ABOUT THE AUTHOR
>
>Ed Schwartz, founder and president of the Institute for the Study of
>Civic Values, has been a national leader in movements to revitalize
>neighborhoods and expand citizen participation in government for more
>than 25 years.  In the 1970s, he built a city-wide coalition of
>community organizations that led to his upset election to the
>Philadelphia City Council as a councilman-at-large in 1984. Between
>1987 and 1992, he served as director of Philadelphia's Office of
>Housing and Community Development, overseeing the rehabilitation of
>more than 4,000 houses and apartments for low-income residents of the
>City. In 1992, he returned to the Institute for the Study of Civic
>Values full-time to develop new models for community planning and
>citizen empowerment for the 1990's.
>
>Dr. Schwartz, who received his Ph.D. in political science from Rutgers
>University, has written widely on problems related to civic
>participation, neighborhood development, and America's democratic
>heritage. His first book, "Will the Revolution Succeed?" has been
>followed by articles and reviews in The New York Times Book Review, The
>Nation, The American Prospect, Shelterforce, The Philadelphia Inquirer,
>and The Philadelphia Daily News. The work of the Institute for the
>Study of Civic Values itself is profiled extensively in Robert Bellah's
>award-winning book, "Habits of the Heart."
>
>				    # # #
>
>NetActivism: How Citizens Use the Internet
>By Ed Schwartz
>1st Edition September 1996
>175 pages (est.), ISBN: 1-56592-160-7, $24.95, Includes CD-ROM
Ed Schwartz, Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1218 Chestnut St.,
Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107 215-238-1434 edcivic@libertynet.org

The ISCV home page can be reached at
http://libertynet.org/~edcivic/iscvhome.html

Also check out  "Neighborhoods Online" at
http://libertynet.org/community/phila/natl.html.
It's the Institute's project with LibertyNet to support neighborhood activism.

To subscribe to the Institute's international mailing list send to
majordomo@civic.net the one line message:
subscribe civic-values

To subscribe to the Institute's  Pennsylvania mailing list send to
majordomo@civic.net the one line message:
 subscribe penn-neighbor

"Citizenship is the American ideal. There may be an army of actualities
opposed to that ideal, but there is no ideal opposed to that ideal."
                               --G.K. Chesterton