From: zachb@netcom.com (Z.B.)
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:38:44 GMT
Subject: Helsingius shuts down anon.penet.fi server in Finland (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:11:56 -0500
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: fight-censorship@vorlon.mit.edu
Cc: azeem@dial.pipex.com, jseiger@cdt.org
Subject: Helsingius shuts down anon.penet.fi server in Finland

This is a sad day in the history of the Net. Hundreds of thousands of
people had accounts on Julf's pseudonmyous server and many netizens relied
on it daily to preserve their privacy online. (Unlike cypherpunk remailers,
it's not truly anonymous since Julf keeps records of what anon id maps to
what email address.) From Azeem's report and the press release below,
Julf's move seems to be in response to a Finnish court's preliminary
decision that the privacy remailers could be violated by court order --
something the Scientologists have been pushing.

Still, I'd be surprised if Julf's decision wasn't prompted in part by the
hideous London Observer article that falsely accused him of being a
middleman in the distribution of child porn -- check out a scan of the
Sunday cover at:
  http://scallywag.com/

-Declan