Former king to fight spam

================================ BEGIN =================================

Janet Kornblum
CNET NEWS.COM

Self-dethroned spam king Sanford Wallace is putting a new spin on the
old cliché: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

The Net's once most notorious spammer is now teaming up with the
attorney who beat him in court to fight against spam.

"He has finally seen the light," says Pete Wellborn, who helped
Internet service provider Earthlink win a $2 million judgement against
Wallace's junk email company, Cyber Promotions.

Actually, Wallace said he already saw the light and officially
renounced his spam king throne.

But now, whether welcomed or not, he is officially joining the ranks of
antispammers.

His reasoning?

"I'm giving something back," Wallace says. "I take a lot of blame for a
lot of things that have occurred. The way I see that I can help the
most is to slow down the damage."

For all those who doubt his sincerity--and with his track record on
spam there are doubtless many--Wallace points out that there are a lot
of other ways he can make a lot more money than to help companies fight
spammers in court.

[Weiter:
 "http://www.abcnews.com/sections/tech/cnet/cnet_spamking0512.html"]