[FYI] (Fwd) Info Age Crime Terror and War

Date:          Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:10:09 -0500
To:            cryptography@c2.net
From:          John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject:       Info Age Crime Terror and War

Senator Kyl has issued a long report, "Crime, Terror &
War: National Security and Public Safety in the Information
Age," which recounts his Subcommittee's hearings and
recommendations on encryption, Y2K, terrorism, info war,
domestic preparedness, wiretap, and more:

   http://jya.com/ctw.htm  (97K)

It describes a plan to combat threats to critical infrastructure
and the US homeland which, if implemented, would criminalize
much held dear to a few of this list's subscribers; other lurkers will
be overjoyed to read Kyl coming to the rescue of careers and budgets
of MIB and their suppliers of technologies of political control.

He wants DoD to get cracking on domestic protection, move over
piddling LEA. Civil liberties, nonsense. Crypto genie out of the
bottle, more nonsense. Getting government access to encrypted
communications, you bet. Through commercial products, yep.

Thanks to FT for forwarding.

------------- END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE ----------------

APPENDIX:

http://jya.com/ctw.htm
------------------------------ CUT -------------------------------

Source: FT, via multiple forwards, original PDF file (172K) from
Paul_Nicholas@y2k.senate.gov

                                  UNITED STATES SENATE [Seal]

                    UNITED STATES SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY
                        SUBCOMMITTEE ON TECHNOLOGY, TERRORISM,
                               AND GOVERNMENT INFORMATION

                                 SENATOR JON KYL, CHAIRMAN

                       CRIME, TERROR, & WAR:
                         NATIONAL SECURITY &
                         PUBLIC SAFETY IN THE
                             INFORMATION AGE

             SUBCOMMITTEE ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE 105TH CONGRESS

                           REPORT SUBMITTED BY MAJORITY STAFF

                                        NOVEMBER 1998

                                    INTRODUCTION

During the Cold War, the source and nature of threats to the United
States were well understood. The Soviet strategic nuclear threat
ordered American defense and intelligence planning. The offensive
posture of the Warsaw Pact and Soviet regional subversion were
answered by the strength of the NATO Alliance and the determination of
the Reagan Doctrine, and a U.S. military that was designed and ready
for force projection anywhere in the world.

[...]

In the face of these threats, we are coming to reexamine the meaning
of national security, and the traditional ways in which government has
provided for the common defense. When national security threats
transcend our borders, it is clear that domestic tranquility cannot be
the exclusive province of law enforcement agencies. Nor can the
military confine itself to defending against threats that arise only
abroad.

For guardians of the nation's security, and defenders of the
Constitution, I believe there is an important dividing line that we
need to ponder: Where does national security leave off, and domestic
security begin? What are the threats to our safety and security, and
how can would-be aggressors be deterred? How can we defend against new
adversaries who would exploit the weapons of the information age? What
is the right national security strategy to protect America today? And
what are the policies, plans, and programs needed to carry out that
strategy? These questions are affecting the responsibilities we assign
defense agencies, the intelligence community, and law enforcement
agencies, and the relationships among them.

[...]